Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Smart Data Solutions: one of my last emails. Actually 2

 

Jane Hoffman englishcrush@yahoo.com

Mon, Oct 31, 2022, 12:06 AM
to me
I worked at a company for 19 months called Smart Data Solutions which is medical data entry processing.  On Sept 30, 2002, I asked the corporate office in Eagan, MN why we could not have a raise because wages were low.   I also told Corporate that I asked for a 50 cents raise but the manager of my office in Superior, WI would not give me a raise because he would not train me in 2 other cues out of the 4 cues.  I asked for 4 months straight.  In early Sept. 2022, Tim Moder, my boss, said I was not fast enough to learn other cues.  My percentage had gone from 45% to 74% production in 6 months.  Right after I contacted corporate about the wages, the company treated me different.  They told me I could no longer work Saturdays.  My immediate boss, Tim, calculated all the days I wrote I was coming in and what times and tried to measure that against the times I actually worked.  I put in my notice and then reneged it.  They tried to put me on probation for productivity and attendance.  I was told by Tim, "this would have never happened, if you did not contact corporate."  I have diabetes type II and I work 3 jobs.  I went to the bathroom 1x an hour and I punched out to do so, to not lower my productivity.  They complained I punched out too much but I had to use the bathroom once an hour.  I asked to meet with the manager, Darren Strong, 5x in the last month.  He never made time to meet with me.  Tim was out with Covid and when he came back he tried to put me on probation at 7 p.m. at night on Friday.  The conditions of probation he put me under for not resigning is that I already got a warning for attendance and productivity.  This is not how he presented it originally.  Other people who performed under 80% were allowed to work there and on Saturdays.  Tim forced me into resigning, saying I could come back next summer.  I put in a two week notice for Nov. 4, 2022.  They all of sudden waivered my notice a week later and told me I was release early and could not work until Nov. 4.  They did not give me a reason.  Ever since I asked corporate for a 1.00 raise from 11.00 to 12.00 they were hostile to me.  Four days after I asked, there was a company wide 1.00 raise for each person.  All I know, I was treated differently, the managers were hostile and gave me conflicting messages.


Jane Hoffman
M.A. Political Science

Jane Hoffman politicsofdissent@gmail.com

Thu, Oct 27, 2022, 11:29 PM
to Clare
I began working at SDS March 7, 2021.  I had a good boss, Logan.  I world in Data entry a long time, almost one year.  In February, I transferred to Kofax per Tim's request.  I found this methodical but direct and easy.  I went from 45% to 67 % to 74% over several months.  Some days I hit 99 to 111%.and did very well.  I was strapped with 2 other jobs almost the whole time I was there.  On Sept. 12, I had the urge to go back into public schools.  I was called within 2 hours of applying at Duluth schools to work at Ordean East.  I would go from assisted living job from 10 pm to 6 a.m to school job 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and nap 2 hours and work at SDS.  Tim suggested I quit and maybe come back another time.  At first, I resisted but then after one week, realized how difficult it was becoming.  I felt I was going to die one week, working 15 to 17 hours a day with 2 hours of sleep inbetween.  I did put my notice in via text for Oct 14 because Tim had covid and was out 2 weeks.  He has been out at least 5 weeks this year with exposure to Covid and health concerns.  I "changed my mind." He told me when he got back I would probably go on probation for attendance and productivity.  I hit 99% Sept 30 and 80-85% between Oct 6 and 10.  He told me on the phone I would go on probation and reports would be reviewed 1x per week and that if I failed, I would get a warning.  He said that I would start probation on a certain day.  On October 21, he came in late at 6 p.m. and the documents for probation were already written as 1 warning or strike meaning I only had once chance to improve.  He recommended I resign and come back in the summer.  I did put a notice in.  This week, I opted to change one day due to going to Tim's poetry reading he invited all the staff, too.  I am a poet, novelist, playwright and screenwriter.  I had a play produced on cable TV and I was 2nd in a national poetry contest.  I have a screenplay published on Amazon.  Tim and I had a background in being knowledgeable about writing and I felt like this is the one chance I had to see his work before I resigned.  

When, I came into work today - my door pass worked and I was locked out of my computer.  I waited 3 weeks to talk to Darren between asking you for a 1.00 raise and recently.  They would not allow me to work Saturdays anymore because my overall record was under 90%.  This put a damper on my make up hours.  In August, they offered me $25 to come in one Saturday when the were behind.  I have been treated quite differently since I asked for 1.00 raise.  Tim tabulated all my hours worked and productivity for over 4 months for Darren.  I was being retaliated against in the sense they were trying to prove me unworthy to go from 11.00 to 12.00.  What they were really doing is challenging me.  I work hard, I try hard and I did spend more time on documents than my co worker Paige who is on her phone 24/7, texting and watching movies all day but somehow manages to produce 156% as a high schooler.  I have been there 19 months and come 4 to 5 days a week for a long time.  I don't consider myself a "boat rocker" or radical.  When I worked at LA Times from 1987 to 1989 I was making $11 per hour.  I stayed because SDS was a calm job.  I could listen to audio Bible, documentaries and socialize while working.  My job did not come into jeopardy until I challenged the hourly wages.  I am not  a slouch, I had a tough schedule but always did make up hours.  It may have not been feasible to stay, but I was given basically no explanation as to why I could not finish my two weeks.  SDS has a bad reputation in Twin Ports, even before I began.  People believe there are felons and criminals working there.  Darren Strong assaulted my best friend as a teenager when my male friend was a young adult watching his infant daughter.  He has a prison record.  My friend's name is Steve Deming.  I do not hold Darren's trouble past against him, I worked in drug treatment centers one year.  I do think you should rethink your policy on how you treat long term employees, even people like me who are struggling with decisions.  I did go to work tired and exhausted but I have an overdeveloped sense of commitment also translated to a word called workaholism.  I am sorry my multiple commitments were perceived by management as not reaching my maximum potential but in recent weeks, I was trying new methods to speed up, review less pages and condense what I was doing.  Your company has left a stain on my heart.  I know for a fact there people working there at less than 80%, but they are allowed to stay because they did not seek an answer to why wages were so low.

--
Jane Hoffman
M.A. Political Science


No comments:

Post a Comment